Norfolk Branch go off the Rails

Sunday 6th June - Branch Rideout to County School Station.

Sunny skies greeted our branch members as we met at The Railway Tavern, Framingham Earl, today's meeting point and somewhere for optional breakfast (well it would be rude not to), it was good to welcome Michael again, all the way from Cambridge.
Our eighty-five mile route took us from here to Bungay, Diss, Thetford, Mundford, Watton, Dereham and North Elmham, the roads were a mixture of straights, sweeping bends, and twisties through the forests and countryside of Norfolk. Following a quick stop in Watton for a couple to refuel, we were off again through Dereham to North Elmham where a short distance further on, County School Station is situated. County School railway station was built by the Great Eastern Railway in 1886 to serve the private school from which it took its name, and following the completion of the East Norfolk Railway's branch line from Wroxham and Aylsham in 1882. In 1903 the Norfolk County School became the Watts Naval School, although the station name remained unchanged. As soon as we arrived, we were greeted by Ellie who volunteers at the station, she met us to unlock a gate giving us a pre-arranged, reserved parking area just for our bikes. We soon found our way to the platform to be served drinks and some delicious cakes by Ellie and her team, although the station is not working at the moment, there is plenty to see both inside and out plus a couple of walks which some of us will do when we return individually at a later date. A thoroughly enjoyable ride and day made by our members especially David who kindly took Michael to get some fuel and met us en route and Tony who assisted David in Diss when his bike suffered a puncture.
We couldn't have done it without Tracey and her team at The Railway Tavern, County School Station team including, Ellie, Terry, and Susie, and our branch members for their discipline and assistance during the ride, thank you all for playing your part.